Welcome to Imagining LEGO Universe!



In 2006 the vision of
bringing the iconic LEGO brick to the virtual world of MMO gaming - started some years earlier by key members of The LEGO Group - began to take shape with the partnership of a small and little known Colorado based video game development studio called NetDevil.

During the five-plus year journey of development, the team at NetDevil was faced with many difficult technical and design challenges in order to bring LEGO play to the virtual space. Working along side the designing minds and programming wizards, the LEGO Universe art team, lead by Art Director Phillip Atencio, molded a visual style unmatched in the world of MMO gaming, seamlessly melding existing LEGO themes with original story developed in-house by the minds of NetDevil developers who also happened to be life long fans of the timeless plastic toy.

The conceptual design team tasked with bringing the vision of LEGO Universe to life boasted some of the most incredible talent the video game industry has to offer. Lead Concept Artist Jim Stigall guided a team of seven concept illustrators during the life of the project. Along with the help and incredible visions of Jerry Meyer, Dave Kang, Brett Nienburg, Kyle Wheeler, Richard Tran, Peter Coene, Nathan Storm, and Mike Rayhawk many many worlds and literally thousands of drawings were explored to assist the world builders, animators, character modelers, and visual effects artists bringing the three-dimensional world of LEGO Universe to life.

Millions of fans logged in daily and assumed the identity of their Minifigure avatar, virtually interacting, building, and exploring with their friends in the LEGO Universe.

Sadly, in January, 2012, after little over a year since its initial public launch, LEGO Universe was closed for good.

This blog is for you, the fans. It is a place where we, the Concept Art Team from LEGO Universe, can share with you the passion and love that was put into this wonderful game - much of it never seen before, some never meant to be shown.

Please enjoy Imagining LEGO Universe...

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Tran's ventures in Forbidden Valley (not a ranch)

Hi LU fans, my name is Richard Tran and I've been invited to post some of the work that I've done for LU so I hope you'll appreciate and even recognize some of the artwork. I was hired a few years into the project so my work doesn't have the same timeline quality that Mr. Stigall has but I'll attempt to make a few cohesive posts here and there.

Brick Fury - Richard Tran and Jim Stigall
So lets begin with this paint over; when I first came into the project we were trying to find a place for me in the concept art pipeline.

Everyone respected Jim as an excellent draftsman so they tried me out as a kind of colorist. It was great to be able to show off my painting ability and skip the hard part of drawing (Thanks Jim).

I thought it came out pretty cool and unfortunately we didn't really get a chance to do a full out painting over every hero of Lego Universe. As I said, this was more of a test for the noobie guy on the team.


One of the areas which I felt was really great to spend a lot of my time on was artwork for Forbidden Valley. The look of the area actually started very brightly lit with brilliant white clouds and fog to help silhouette the fantastic terrain of the area. We knew we wanted the playable area to fit on top of "mountain islands" scattered in the clouds so I started by trying to figure out the look of these islands.

The Rocks of Forbidden Valley - Richard Tran
As a concept artist, I was put into the position where I was doing a lot of experimentation on color and "feel" of key areas on maps. I mentioned before that we were originally imagining Forbidden Valley to be brightly lit with white fog so here's a fun look at an alternative FV:

First attempt at the "entrance" of forbidden valley

I thought I was being rather clever with the trees. I was trying to color-code the areas so that pink trees would be in places where it was mostly for decoration and the orange trees would populate areas where the players would be able to get to and play around. Sort of a nice clue for areas that you wouldn't have expected to go to ("Oh wait, it has orange trees! How do I get there!?") as well as let you admire and then ignore nifty decorative areas.

Here's another key image for the area, the main attraction (in my opinion) of FV, the giant bonsai tree (can you call it a bonsai tree when its five-hundred times bigger than any other "life-sized" tree in the area?)
Its a very big tree
Thanks for reading my little post or if you haven't I hope you've enjoyed the art. Here's a few more Forbidden Valley pieces that shows some more explorations of places that exist and places that could've existed. I hope to post more showcasing my artwork for other parts of the game in the future, toodlepip!

FV painting for fun and exploration!

Mantis platform for one of the bonsai tree quests

More rock explorations, trying to get some more roots in the rocks

Forbidden Valley racing taking place in the upper branches of the bonsai tree

No comments:

Post a Comment